Friday, October 15, 2010

Behind My Name

Behind My Name: Caitlin
Before I started this assignment, I thought my name was creative because not many people I know have the name "Caitlin" that is spelt my way.
(c-a-i-t-l-i-n)

I know my parents chose this name for me because my mom's favourite book was called "Caitlin". Also my mom and dad thought it was different because it wasn't popular at that time and for it's spelling.

After searching on Baby Name Stats I learned that my name has many different meanings.

~French and Latin: A version of "Catherine" meaning "pure" and "clear"
~Gaelic and Greek: A version of "Catherine" meaning "pure"
~Irish: A version of "Katherine" meaning "pure"


Some other interesting things I learned are that my middle name "Elizabeth" has many different meanings too!
~Arthurian Legend: "Sister of Mark"
~Biblical: "Oath or fullness of God"
~English and Hebrew: "Bountiful" and "plenty"
~Greek: Oath of god and satisfaction
~Shakespearean: "King Richard III Elizabeth, Queen to King Edward IV"


Some Famous people with the name "Elizabeth" are Queen Elizabeth the I and II. Also "Elizabeth" is a very popular name in England because of it's queen. Other famous people with the name "Elizabeth" are Elizabeth Taylor who has acted in "Cat On A Hot Tin Roof" , "National Velvet" and many more.


I think my name "Caitlin" does suit me because I think it's different not only from it's spelling but I don't know many people with my name. to be honest I know 1! Also I think my middle name "Elizabeth" suits me because it was my nanny's name.


If I could give myself a new name it would be Adell, because my mom thought of combining her grandma's name which was "Della", but my mom thought "Della" was to old fashioned. So instead my mom put the "A" in front of the "D" for a modern change. 




*BONUS*


As some of you may know my FAVOURITE show is "The Big Bang Theory", and one of my favourite characters is "Howard Wolowitz". His character in the show is geeky, shy, awkward and is "good with the ladies". When I looked up the name "Howard" on Baby Name Stats his name means...
~English: "Bold Heart"
~Scandinavian: "Noble Watchman"
~Teutonic: "Defender"
So what I'm trying to say here is that his name meanings do not fit his personality. Howard does not have a "bold heart" because he's shy and in yesterday's episode he could not face his ex-girlfriend when she walked by their table. Also he does is not a "noble watchman" because he's some what of a coward and still lives his mother. Lastly Howard is not a defender, he's not brave because he scares easily.  



  (I would like to thank Baby Name Stats for the information on the name meanings in quotations) 





P.S, If you have any questions I don't mind to answer, Thanks
~Caitlin~ 

No comments: